Thursday, July 15, 2010

Part One.....

I have been slacking when it comes to blogging. There has been so much going on before and after the move that I haven't blogged about. For starters, my birthday was at the beginning of the month. The big 3-0! That's right, I am officially out of my twenties and loving it! Jon surprised me with a get together at Buca De Peppo's with a few friends. I was actually TOTALLY surprised and thought it was awesome, especially since we had just gotten home from our vacation up north the week before. I really thought I would be sad to see my twenties go, but I'm not. Age is just a number right?

After my birthday was Zach's graduation from Kindergarten. He was so darn cute and I can't believe he is going to be a big first grader! This boy is such a sweetheart and cuddler. The things this kid can do is amazing, it seems he can build and take apart anything he puts his mind to. His recent love is K'nex's, which he builds amazing things just by looking at a picture. We love this little boy so much!

Zach's graduation was at the end of school and we were busy preparing to pack and sell the house. What??? Did you say sell the house? Yes! Our house officially closed the day before we left. We are truly blessed by this miracle. I say miracle, because in Detroit, with the economy the way it is, this truly is a miracle.

On the Monday before we moved, Ella started to get a fever, which I could reduce as long as we did Tylenol and IB profen every three hours. I figured she was teething pretty hard and it was a rough few days. I had done this before and I could handle a few HARD days of teething. By Friday, her fevers were not getting any better and I was worried about her being on that dosage of medicine for the last five days. I decided to just call the Pediatrician and see if it was okay. I talked to a nurse and she said I could continue for the weekend and see her the next week or they could see her for a sick appt today. Since we were moving that next Wednesday I wanted to be safe and and I wanted her seen. She just was not her usual self and I was worried about her fevers. Of course, I get one of the last appointments of the day and Jon stays with the other kids. The doctor did some tests, (I had to hold her down so they could put in her catheter, not fun!). The doctor thought she had a uti and told us we needed to get her blood drawn so we could be sure. Of course it is passed 5:00 and every lab is closed. They told me to take her to an ER, and they would take care of me from there. I arrived at the ER by our home and was turned away because they didn't want to stick an infant. I was crying, I admit. I had no way to contact Jon, because that morning I had dropped my phone in a big tub of water. I used the hospitals phone and told him I had to go to Children's Hospital and I didn't want to go alone. He called the Beaners and asked them to watch our kids, which of course they were in the middle of closing on their house. Not a good time, but of course they took the three of them right at dinner and bedtime and we took off to Children's Hospital. Now I have to be honest here, I's a UTI people why are we doing all this?! Give her some antiobiotics and let's go home we need to pack. I guess when this happens in babies it's not good because of what it can do to their kidneys. We get there and luckily we got into a room right away (thank you Jon, that's why I wanted you to come!) They took her blood (which I held her down again) and had to do another catheter and we waited for the results. Around midnight, we were preparing to go home, because Ella was already looking better(She got a shot of antiobiotics at her pediatricians appt.), and we got the news that her white cells were extremely high and she needed to be admitted. Not good timing! We were there for three days and were finally released the evening on Father's day. She's doing great and we actually have to get her some VCUG test to make sure that she doesn't have reflux but it's all good. She is just on Antiobiotics until we can get that test done. Now while I was at the hospital, I had a big eye opener. Jon had just done his rotation in Pediatric Ortho and came home with tales about children. And we aren't talking about happy tales. Well, we were put in a room with a cute little boy, no names, and I was able to see firsthand the tradegy of some of these kids. He was almost 1 and just so darn cute. I was there three days and no one visited him once. I was talking to his nurse and they had quite a few kids whose parents never visited them. He was in the crib crying and just wanting to be held and loved. The nurses were awesome there, they were constantly helping these children who had no one. They would take them on rounds, put them in backpacks and jumpers outside so they could have some interaction and contact. I wanted to bring him home with me. When Ella was sleeping I would go over and hold him and play with him. I would even bring Ella over and let them "play" together. I felt humbled. I thought my children were lucky because they always had someone with them, and would no matter what. But this little boy had been in here for the last three weeks and NOT ONCE had his parents visit him. It made me sad to see firsthand the neglect of these children. I'm not trying to be judgemental because sometimes you can't always be there. I understand that, there are some single mothers/fathers who can't constantly be there. I'm not trying to make anybody feel bad, but I just wanted to take this child home with me. It really brought to life these stories that Jon had always told me, and made them real.


TJ said...

Wow, that story of the little boy in Ellas room Bells...that breaks my heart!! :( Im literally here crying...I can't imagine that...I just can't. :(

Robyn said...

How sad! I want to take all those babies home and love them. (which is precisely why my husband said I could never do foster care like I wanted to. He's right) I'm glad baby Ella is ok now. She's beautiful btw.